Friday, July 23, 2010

I saw this T-shirt...

As I was traveling back to my home in NE Ohio we stopped along the thru-way for a caffine and potty break. There were a bus load of teens that arrived just in front of us. (all using the potty too...that was a close one!) I noticed one t-shirt that I could NOT get out of my thoughts. It was black with white decor on it. In the middle, there was a cross with these words staggered within..."Be Holy or Die Trying"

Immediately my heart was sad. Obviously this was a very believing child but for some reason he was under the impression that he could DO something that would make him acceptable to God. Let's just think about this for a moment.

( are you thinking?)

How often in my life have I done something that was soooo completely unHoly? Oh heavens! (Please don't tally those up.) It would not be a stretch for the middle of the road, everyday, run of the mill, average kinda girl (or boy) to think about "being holy" and simply say....that is just too hard...I will fail at that so let me stick to the things I am good at... being holy is just too impossible so why bother!

What does it even mean to BE holy? Does that mean going to church everyday? (yuck!) Every Sunday? Does it mean never using cuss words? How about if you slip and swear when you stub a toe? Does that make you unholy for that day? What if you are PMS-ing and you are rude to a co-worker? Your mom calls and you get snippy with her? Can you be extra-holy on Friday to make up for being unholy on Thursday? I don't know about you but my head is spinning!! Where is the line of holiness? I did not get that memo! AAAAAaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!

Fortunately, we have a loving God who knew that we would slip into that mind set of trying to accomplish something that was simply impossible. Why impossible? Because we were given the ability to choose and we are all human beings. We are bound to make choices that suit our prideful hearts rather than choices that honor God and are "others" focused. We are flawed creatures that need our creator to help guide us. Because of His love for us, God sent his Son to be our personal guide.

My dear sisters, please don't get caught in that trap of trying to do things to earn a place with God. Your life will be eaten up by your To Do list. Your joy will be replaced with anxiety and guilt. God wants to be your soft place to fall. He wants to be your support system not your dictator. He wants you to dive into His word, swim around a bit. The water is perfect!

How do I know this? I read it in a really great book that I can't put down....The Bible. ;O) Let me share some verses that speak volumes to this.

A verse that speaks to YOUR importance to God...
Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Matt 6:26

A verse that speaks to God's desire for you to ENJOY your life and not be trapped by guilt, shame, to do lists... (answers specifically why Jesus came in the first place. How cool!)
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. John 10:10

A verse that speaks to HOW we can be okay with God.
"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 10:10

A few verses that speak to the idea of TRYING TO BE HOLY and how it is not going to work!
For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. Rom 3:28

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not by works, lest any man should boast. Eph 2:8,9

"nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified." Gal 2:16

Ok...I could go on and on! I so hope you get my point and that these verses cause you to dive into what else the Bible has to say to us.

In closing, the desire of my heart is to get the point across that it is not about doing things to be okay with God. It is not about being "enough" of something. God wants us as we are! We don't need to fix something about ourselves before we can get to know Him. He wants us to understand that He loves us BEFORE we come to him. He loves us and wants us to just believe it and in turn, get to know Him. I promise....the closer you get to God (even with all the junk you carry around) you will be amazed at the joy and love that will fill your soul. Come on in! The water is great!

No comments:

Post a Comment