Monday, November 30, 2009

Here we go again...I am back at His feet!

It is Monday....my children are back at school after a 5 day break for Thanksgiving. I love my children dearly. I really do. I would jump in front of a bus for them. I would trade my life for theirs in a heartbeat. They are the reason I get up in the morning. Having said that.....boy, can they shut....me.....down! This blog is actually being done in order to spare my dearest friends about a hour of venting. For those of you with children...I know you hear me. As my children age, it seems I am aging twice as fast. Can I get an Amen?! I totally understand and hold tight to the fact that the goal in parenting is to love them and raise them to be loving, God fearing, productive individuals. I get that but good grief....can I pick a different goal cause that one seems too hard sometimes. How about this for a goal... get them to smile or walk or hug or speak?? How about a goal of getting them to fuss or cry? Ooooo. Ooooo...how about, the goal in parenting is to get them to go to the potty! Now, that is one I can achieve.

Ok...seriously. Raising children is so tough. More accurately, it is impossible without the loving kindness and words of wisdom from God. After a meer 5 days with my children, I am graveling at His feet for scraps of something to lift my spirits. I need Him to remind me that the goal will be accomplished (if I don't give up). Gal 6:9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Without Him, I would feel so discouraged. Discouraged in what? Well, how about this for just one example. I have been a parent for 11 1/2 years and I just learned that one of my children has not changed underwear in 4 days. Seriously. I can't even teach them the basics. This is where my head goes. What on earth did I do wrong? What am I not doing that I should be doing? Well, God assures me that He is with me. He says to me, don't be discouraged. ( Even in the dirty underwear part of my life. ) Deut 31:8 The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

I have learned that keeping a healthy sense of humor is very VERY important when parenting. Without it, things get very gloomy very quick! I have a child...who is sitting in school...right now....with underwear that have been on the same tush since Thursday!!!! (this is being posted on a Monday!) If I am not able to find the humor in that...I think I have lost the ability to laugh. (out of respect for my children, I will not mention which one it is but just so you know, all three of them are old enough to change their own undies!)

As a mom...a fallen, sinful creature. A mom that truly wants to do the best I can do...these are the things in my head this morning. I am kind of all in a fuss over some minor family "things" that occurred over Thanksgiving, I am still fighting off a virus that won't quite, my husband is AWOL cause he prefers the company of men dressed in camo and bright orange over me, I have a very messy house, loads of laundry, empty cupboards, a bare frig, a house decorated in fall pumpkins and a faux lighted Christmas tree with no decorations yet. I have science projects to supervise, Nativity scene projects to guide, spelling words to help with, presents to get, presents to wrap, bills to pay, animals to care for...and oh yeah....I need to make sure I put together an unforgettable Christmas season filled with warm fuzzies memories. I also need to remember to try and make it snow ever-so-slightly on Christmas Eve. (Can't forget that!)

I am going to be bold and say that many of you have different things that are going on in your head but it is ALL kind of the same. Right? Well, these are the words that I am resting in from our God. Phil 4:8 tells us...Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

I will close with another great verse that I will rely on and rest in...and I would urge you to do the same.

Proverbs 31:25 Strength and dignity are her clothing, And she smiles at the future.

Amen!!







No comments:

Post a Comment